Thursday, July 23, 2009

My weekly letter~july 23rd

Hello all!
Another week gone by here at the MTC, that's a joyous occasion.
My hand is healing nicely, still hurts on occasion, but I can deal with it, no pain no gain right? It was also nice to hear that my blog was up, I know I can't look at it, I have no idea how I would be able too... hmmm. 
As for life here at the MTC I have gained a few pounds I hope to work off a couple off them before I leave, I'm gonna start running more. I don't like being fat. Well, ok I'm not fat, but, that's alright. We did get basketball back here at the MTC; I haven't played yet, though I probably will here sometime in the next week or so. I've never been terribly good, but it might be nice break from foursquare and or volleyball. We are allowed to work out outside, though most days I just choose to stay in, I like it better than playing soccer or playing sand volleyball. Sand in the shorts is never fun. 
Lisa and Ryan wanted a song to learn in Spanish - learn Divina Luz (lead kindly light, but in Spanish), or Secreta Oracion. Secreta Oracion has become our zone themesong. It's pretty rocking. Speaking of our zone, we are the oldest district now, the other one left this week. It made me really sad. There were all great examples, we shed some tears. They're off to bigger and better things though. As a part of them leaving, we began a tradition of after setting up the devotional on saturday night, the outgoing district bears their testimonies over the huge pulpit thing it's sweet. As we sang them off Sunday night, it was so loud, we pride ourselves on singing the best and the loudest. haha. I'll be sending a couple things home this week, well probably next so I can get the bulk of my letters out home too. 
We can teach most of all the lessons in Spanish now, and it's been a few days since I haven't been able to understand what people are saying to me. I can read Preach my Gospel almost completely in Spanish now, (there are a few words on every page I don't know), and can even make my way through the scriptures at a decent pace, and at least comprehend what is going on. I just plug away at my vocabulary.
Oh, and we did do a full session today at the temple. That was nice. I've always liked going to the temple.
I love Spanish, and I'm always working to improve my testimony. I'm doing incredible and can't wait for Argentina!!! 
The rest of preparation day was pretty good. I have discovered the magic of Tide to Go pens. Absolutely amazing!!! You'll also be shocked to know that we have started to get up at 6 to go do our laundry. Me, getting up really early to go do laundry, never thought I would see the day. Otherwise I spent the rest of the day writing a couple letters. I do hear pretty regularly from a fair amount of my friends from home and especially from BYU. That's way nice, I love to hear from anyone who is willing to send me a letter, I always do my best to actually write them back. Tuesday night, our devotional was from John H. Groberg, yes, from the other side of heaven. He gave a really good devotional, but what I took from it was his challenge to absolutely always be looking for opportunities to serve. Often times, its when we think that no one is watching that the most good is done doing a service. Also a careful reminder that we are called as FULL time missionaries, not as part time. Anyway, that's the gist of Tuesday.
Wednesday, we had the opportunity of sorts to be hosts for new missionary day here at the MTC. It was pretty fun. They have lots of hosts so we don't get to help that many missionaries, but it's interesting being on the otherside of the whole being dropped off process. The downside to it, watching it all happen does make one a fair amount homesick. But, all in all, I'm glad I'm no longer the wide-eyed scared missionary, that is until I make my way down to Argentina. The closer it gets, the more I want to get down there and get to work! Wednesday for gym, we had the most intense game of Volleyball going. The BYU red-shirt middle blocker is here, and our team, I was the shortest guy, he was giving eveyone pointers on how to hit, it was funny. But yeah, the problem is that it made me use my hand alot, so now I have to force myself to not use it as much in the next couple days or it is never going to heal completely. We also taught two more lessons to our progressive investigators yesterday. It's strange we hit this wall, where they love what we've done, but don't neccesarily see a need to continue to do more - like baptism. I know it's not real, but they are good at giving real scenarios that will probably happen to you while on your mission. Yesterday, we also had more fun with a Weekly Planning Session. I guess it will be an important tool in the field. But, in the MTC where every day is scheduled to like five minutes, it's not that effective. Oh well.
Well, I should be running here soon. I'm working on my Spanish letters to people for the next little bit as soon as I get back to my residence hall. They should be out today I'm thinking. Tell all the siblings for me I haven't forgotten about them, I miss them all. I'll be writing soon. I love you and miss you all!!! 
Side note, time goes really fast when one is emailing home. Faster then the rest of the half hours in a day... I think they rig these computers. 
-con mucho amor
MAtthew
PS - so, I honestly didn't think I'd miss family this much, but I do. ;) hope you are all doing well. Just don't forget about me while I'm out here in the field. Miss you mom and dad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baptism

Baptism

Baptism with the new members

Baptism with the new members

baptism

baptism

scorpion in baptismal font

scorpion in baptismal font

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Matthew and President del Castillo

Matthew and President del Castillo

Polly want a cracker?

Polly want a cracker?

Cooking Christmas dinner

Cooking Christmas dinner

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

Christmas dinner

Christmas dinner

Baptism

Baptism

Dinner is served

Dinner is served
Armadillo

Monkey see monkey do

Monkey see monkey do
Matthew enjoying P-day

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

On the radio

On the radio

Lasagna...

Lasagna...

New Area

New Area

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew's district

Matthew's district

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Luis's Baptism

Luis's Baptism

The Well

The Well

Laundry Facilities

Laundry Facilities

The "shower"

The "shower"

Arturo's Baptism

Arturo's Baptism

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Playing soccer in the mud

Playing soccer in the mud

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Branch activty

Branch activty

Matthew and Teresa

Matthew and Teresa

Baptism

Baptism

Garupà

Garupà

Matt's house in Goya

Matt's house in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew and his fries

Matthew and his fries

Bella Vista

Bella Vista

Hamburger??

Hamburger??

Cathedral in Goya

Cathedral in Goya

The outside of the chapel

The outside of the chapel

The chapel

The chapel

Matthew tracting

Matthew tracting

The baptismal font

The baptismal font

Teresa's baptism

Teresa's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Cleaning the font

Cleaning the font
doesn't he look happy :)

Carlos' baptism

Carlos' baptism

Matt's first baptism

Matt's first baptism

Arrival at the MTC

Arrival at the MTC
Here I go... ¡Adìos!

Buenos Aires Temple

Buenos Aires Temple

Followers