Friday, August 28, 2009

hi

The baptism was done at our chapel. They have a font - pretty dirty, but, everything here comes out with red dirt on it. Our chapel, has reddish tile, that way the dirt is harder to see. But, yeah, we baptized our three along with one from the Hermanas who are serving in our same branch area. I don´t know if you were able to look up my area, but our branch boundaries are double that size. It was a really spiritual experience, served to remind me why I was there. I´m not going to lie, I was incredibly lucky to have that in my first week here. Perhaps something I helped try to teach will help them later. But, I was able to participate, Gabriel asked me to baptize her. It was incredible, I was so nervous, having to do it in Spanish and all, but it went off well. I was also able to be in the circle when they were confirmed the next day on Sunday. I saved a copy of the baptism flier and stuff, I´ll either mail it, or just bring it all home with me. I´m going to buy a cord today that will let me put the pictures on the email, then I can send the family some, so that will be exciting. Feel free to send me more pictures of the family... aka, send me more. :) 
My companion, Elder Rohde is from Washington, his dad is a park ranger. And... he´s going home in four weeks. Haha. He´s a great guy, and exactly the kind of trainer I needed. We get all the work done, but we aren´t afraid to laugh and joke. He also doesn´t hesitate to correct me when I say or do something stupid in Spanish. 

The mission president, I have only met twice. We have interviews with him next week. I get the feeling, you get to know him more as the mission goes on. Because unless you are a zone leader, you only see him twice a transfer--zone conference, and when he does interviews. He travels a lot, like half the week. The mission should be sending you a picture of me and him and his wife.
P-Day--soccer was awesome!!! It was just really fun to play with a bunch of elders. Today we are relaxing again, and going to see some cool things down by the Parana River. That will be cool. Next week I think as a zone we are going to the Ruins, or to the city of Obera, to see some other touristy type of sites. So yeah, that´s that. Again, pictures should be coming next week. :)
I can email people, it´s just a matter of doing it in the time alotted, we have just over an hour to email. So, after emailing family, I´ll do as much as I can, and leave the rest for a paper letter, or the next week. Whatever will work best. But yes, I know, family comes first. 
The weather, it is starting to heat up quite a bit. I think that we are going to get more rain this week. But, hot, and wet, sum up the weather really nicely. Dirty and muddy sum up the roads. It never really totally dries out here I´ve learned. 
Our pension (apartment)--rumor has it, that it is the best pension in the mission. If that is true, I never want to live in a different one. Its.... safe. Well, unless we miss a spot of mold... or mildew to clean up. Dirt everywhere. But, we try and clean a bit. It´s impossible to keep up with it. We get our hot water by way of propane, so getting the shower water hot, but not scalding is always a fun challenge. Usually, we just put up with the scalding. Haha. We have electricity, and in Posadas, it´s pretty reliable, it doesn´t shut up.(I think he means down) I can´t describe much else of it... I´ll have to send the pictures next week. But, its definitly nothing like you´d find in the states. Any home in the states is immensely better. 

Which leads me to my next point. My area isn´t the poorest part of Posadas, I think Elder Mohlman is in a poorer part in general. But, we do have some really poor parts, wood shacks and such. But, its all good. Most of our streets are rut filled muddy ones. Most of the houses are about the size of our garage. In the viviendas (richer, government built housing) where a couple of members live, are the size of our upstairs, minus the garage. I know that´s probably confusing, but think really small. We do most of our teaching outside, because that´s where we fit, and where people are most comfortable talking to us. I don´t know why. But, I get the feeling, that inside the house, is a really secure place, and not just anyone can go in it. My thoughts anyway.

Church on Sunday was better, awesome with the confirmations. I understand a bit more of what goes on. And learned we can randomly get called to teach a Sunday school class. The language has progressed alot, even in this past week. Mostly in just being able to understand what people are saying to me, the accent, and understanding Vos form. But yeah, I´m getting more comfortable teacher slightly bigger parts and stuff during the lessons, so that is cool. 
People we´re teaching: a family, that we have to get the dad to stop smoking first. Rivero family. 
Sergio: stopped smoking... but won´t come to church
Jose Luis: a drinker and weed smoker we just started teaching, he came and talked to us in the street and said he didn´t know why he was talking to us, but he had to
Maria and her sister Tercera: a very evangelical lady, we taught the first lesson, we had no clue why she let us in, until she shared a dream she had like a year ago, that two men dressed like we are, came and shared a message of salvation with her. So, that´s cool. :) We´ll see what happens. 
We have some others that we teach off and on, but no real progress. I´ll keep you more updated. But that´s the main four groups so far. :) 

So, that is what Ive spent my week doing. Teaching those people, and spending alot of time clapping houses and setting up appointments for later in the week. Tons of people here say they want to listen, the problem is the following up on the commitment. 

Well, I´m out of time. I didnt delve into my week much, sorry. I will more next week. 

I love you, and miss you all.
con mucho amor,
Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baptism

Baptism

Baptism with the new members

Baptism with the new members

baptism

baptism

scorpion in baptismal font

scorpion in baptismal font

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Matthew and President del Castillo

Matthew and President del Castillo

Polly want a cracker?

Polly want a cracker?

Cooking Christmas dinner

Cooking Christmas dinner

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

Christmas dinner

Christmas dinner

Baptism

Baptism

Dinner is served

Dinner is served
Armadillo

Monkey see monkey do

Monkey see monkey do
Matthew enjoying P-day

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

On the radio

On the radio

Lasagna...

Lasagna...

New Area

New Area

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew's district

Matthew's district

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Luis's Baptism

Luis's Baptism

The Well

The Well

Laundry Facilities

Laundry Facilities

The "shower"

The "shower"

Arturo's Baptism

Arturo's Baptism

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Playing soccer in the mud

Playing soccer in the mud

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Branch activty

Branch activty

Matthew and Teresa

Matthew and Teresa

Baptism

Baptism

Garupà

Garupà

Matt's house in Goya

Matt's house in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew and his fries

Matthew and his fries

Bella Vista

Bella Vista

Hamburger??

Hamburger??

Cathedral in Goya

Cathedral in Goya

The outside of the chapel

The outside of the chapel

The chapel

The chapel

Matthew tracting

Matthew tracting

The baptismal font

The baptismal font

Teresa's baptism

Teresa's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Cleaning the font

Cleaning the font
doesn't he look happy :)

Carlos' baptism

Carlos' baptism

Matt's first baptism

Matt's first baptism

Arrival at the MTC

Arrival at the MTC
Here I go... ¡Adìos!

Buenos Aires Temple

Buenos Aires Temple

Followers