Monday, January 25, 2010

From Resistencia, with Elder Mohlman!‏

Hey, hey, hey, from the city of Resistencia!!!!

Well, well, well, I am sitting here in an internet cafe with a really bad keyboard, writing out this email. And before you ask, I didn´t get transferred to Resistencia. I´m here still doing my paperwork. Transfers don´t come until Wednesday. So, I figured that first I would start by talking about how interesting this whole day has been. Starting Sunday night when I left Goya:

So, I left at 7, expecting to get to Corrientes at around 10, which I did. The bus was on time, but the assistants hadn´t been able to communicate with the Zone Leaders from Corrientes, so I was alone in the terminal for a while. That is until a member of the church walked up to me and asked what I was doing and why I was alone. Then, he told me he was going to stay with me until the other elders finally got there. So they picked me up, and took me to a taxi station to cross over into Resistencia. The taxi driver then proceeded to drop me off in downtown Resistencia, alone. (because he only has a set route that he drives) So then I found another taxi, solo, and finally got to the house of the assistants. Fun!!! I got in at about midnight, and had to wake up at five. Because, taking advantage of a couple of extra elders, today was the official moving day for the office. So we got to help with that. The new office is in one of the two stake centers in Resistencia. From there, we went to the city office to start filing paperwork to officially become a resident of Argentina. Finally..... Haha, got fingerprinted and everything again. Got that taken care of, and now I am here. Hoping that the monthly money comes, or I can´t go back home... The problem with the money in the mission right now is... Salt Lake is really slow. And... all this stuff happens at the end of the month, when we are all really poor. I´m also just waiting for the bus schedule, so I know when I can actually leave, and since it is Pday, sending an email. That sums up my Pday quite well. Wanna know something fun? I´m sitting next to Elder Mohlman. He had to come do his papers as well. So I´m in a companionship with him for the time being again.

What else has happened in the past week.... oh! We are teaching a sister, that told us she saw a movie about Joseph Smith, and that they killed his wife and burned down the church. So he turned into a bounty hunter. You may think I´m kidding, but... she was serious. ¨My name´s Joseph... Joseph Smith...¨.... Strange. So... we watched the Prophet of the Restoration with her. :) I think she understands things a little bit better now.

Hmm, oh, we should still be good to have a baptism this Saturday, if all goes according to plan. And we put some on baptismal dates for February. I´m pretty excited. The Branch is still working like last week. We had a Branch activity that went really well!! And we managed to break 30 again, with the same people from the week before. SO, what can I say, things are going well. I didn´t have to teach, again, so I was happy. And my comp taught Bible study this week. The week was pretty normal. The good part of the week was that we were able to meet and pass many of our goals this week, in particular that of finding new investigators. It´s really a nice feeling to finish a good week. We should have a great number of investigators here if we can find them again.

So, I don´t really have tons more to say, or time. But it´s interesting what the mission does to people. I mean who would think that I´d be making a trip solo, from Goya, to Resistencia, and feel incredibly strange at the thought of being alone. I mean it´s just weird, stuff that one would never do while they were at home. But, I guess that is one purpose of leaving on a mission, to do things that you wouldn´t normally do.

We also hear a little bit about what´s going on with Haiti. It´s led to two distinct things happening here. People complaining less about water and power problems. But more questions to us, about how God can be so cruel to these people. It´s simple, yet so difficult to explain at the same time. Strange. Well, I gotta go catch a bus here soon. I love you all!!!!

Love,
- Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baptism

Baptism

Baptism with the new members

Baptism with the new members

baptism

baptism

scorpion in baptismal font

scorpion in baptismal font

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Matthew and President del Castillo

Matthew and President del Castillo

Polly want a cracker?

Polly want a cracker?

Cooking Christmas dinner

Cooking Christmas dinner

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

Christmas dinner

Christmas dinner

Baptism

Baptism

Dinner is served

Dinner is served
Armadillo

Monkey see monkey do

Monkey see monkey do
Matthew enjoying P-day

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

On the radio

On the radio

Lasagna...

Lasagna...

New Area

New Area

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew's district

Matthew's district

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Luis's Baptism

Luis's Baptism

The Well

The Well

Laundry Facilities

Laundry Facilities

The "shower"

The "shower"

Arturo's Baptism

Arturo's Baptism

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Playing soccer in the mud

Playing soccer in the mud

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Branch activty

Branch activty

Matthew and Teresa

Matthew and Teresa

Baptism

Baptism

Garupà

Garupà

Matt's house in Goya

Matt's house in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew and his fries

Matthew and his fries

Bella Vista

Bella Vista

Hamburger??

Hamburger??

Cathedral in Goya

Cathedral in Goya

The outside of the chapel

The outside of the chapel

The chapel

The chapel

Matthew tracting

Matthew tracting

The baptismal font

The baptismal font

Teresa's baptism

Teresa's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Cleaning the font

Cleaning the font
doesn't he look happy :)

Carlos' baptism

Carlos' baptism

Matt's first baptism

Matt's first baptism

Arrival at the MTC

Arrival at the MTC
Here I go... ¡Adìos!

Buenos Aires Temple

Buenos Aires Temple

Followers