Hey, hey, hey to everyone,
So, we come to the end of what has been a strangely long week. Haha. As you could see, last week after we finished writing the emails we took a taxi back to Corrientes Capital and enjoyed the blessings of civilization--McDonalds, and WalMart. It was strange to see those two things again. It was also strangely ironic, two stores that generally I wouldn´t go to at home, because I wasn´t too much of a fan, suddenly become something really cool and amazing when one is in the mission. Strange how that works out. The other interesting thing is that the two places are the places where those who have money go. WalMart does have some cheap stuff, but also some really, really expensive stuff when you think in Pesos. McDonalds, as well, is one of the high end restaurants in Corrienties Capital, and one of the most expensive. So... maybe I shouldn´t have bought food there, but I did, and it felt good, and I can´t really change that fact now. After we got done there, I got to travel back down to Goya, and that´s how my night ended on Monday. Generally the missionaries don´t travel alone, but when I´m the one coming from a small zone that´s kind of isolated from other missionaries, it happens. And, my companion was in splits with the zone leaders while I was gone. Haha. Oh, and I waited with the member about a half hour. :)
Tuesday and Wednesday were taken up by the transfers. As you can tell, I didn´t leave, which I am pretty happy about. Elder Guerra and I are together one final transfer. It is almost a guarantee that we will separate this coming transfer. It´s pretty rare to have more than three transfers with the same companion. We´re pretty excited. We can finish the work we started in rebuilding the area and by ending with a number of baptisms. We have a number planned (and hoped for) to get in the month of February and the first week in March. It´ll all work out well. One of the baptisms we may have is the girlfriend of the son of our branch president--complicated isn´t it? But, it´s kind of cool. We are going to take them to the City Offices and make them get married so she can get baptized. Oh, yeah, so Wednesday we had to wait for the new zone leader to get here. His name is Elder Contreras, and took forever to travel from way up in Misiones to down here in Goya. So, we decided to go eat some food as a zone in a restaurant called La City. The hamburgers here are weird. They put eggs in them, and ham. Strange....
Thursday and Friday were spent getting the sister ready for her baptism. Which was definitely quite the process. Tithing was an issue. She didn´t understand, and I´ll admit it is a little strange, why on earth she had to pay tithing on the money that the Church paid her to rent the chapel. She said it´ll just be the same money cycling over and over again. She had a good point... but it´s all about the principle. Haha. But, we worked with her and through some problems that came up during the baptismal interview.
This takes us to Saturday, where we finally were able to have our baptism!!! All went really well and we celebrated the night by getting Delivery on some food and ice cream, and that´s that. The baptism went really well. Side note, we watched Special Witnesses of Christ, which I bought, I really really like that video. I would recommend it to everyone.
As I get near to ending, I thought that I would share a cool story from last Saturday. So we were tracting, and decided to clap a house that has a crazy dog. Absolutely crazy. Always tries to attack people. But when we went this time, it was totally calm... The dog being calm was the only reason that she let us in to teach. As soon as we finished the lesson and left, the dog went crazy again. When we went back the second time, the same thing happened. And now she is probably going to get baptized. All because something made her dog calm. Crazy huh?
So, that´s really all of the things that I have to share this week. I thought I would end with some of the funny things that I have heard this week, from members and non members:
¨His name is Elder, just like his daddy.¨
¨There are more churches than happy children in the world.¨
¨I´m sweating more than a false witness.¨
Haha, That´s really all I have. So until the next week. I love you and miss you all. I hope that everything goes well at home. Oh, and we are playing soccer again this week for Pday, a calmer one than my Pday last week.
I hope Mckay´s family is doing alright. It´s something different to hear of a missionary's death while on a mission. (The elder that died in Romania was in Matt's ward and family home evening group at BYU.)
Love, Matthew
Monday, February 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Baptism
Baptism with the new members
baptism
scorpion in baptismal font
Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching
Matthew and President del Castillo
Polly want a cracker?
Cooking Christmas dinner
Merry Christmas
Christmas dinner
Baptism
Dinner is served
Armadillo
Monkey see monkey do
Matthew enjoying P-day
Matthew climbing out of his apartment.
On the radio
Lasagna...
New Area
Baptism
Matthew's district
Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs
Luis's Baptism
The Well
Laundry Facilities
The "shower"
Arturo's Baptism
Door with amazing "safety" bars
Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew
Playing soccer in the mud
Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment
Branch activty
Matthew and Teresa
Baptism
Garupà
Matt's house in Goya
Matthew and companion in Goya
Sunset in Goya
Matthew by river at Bella Vista
Baptism
Matthew and his fries
Bella Vista
Hamburger??
Cathedral in Goya
The outside of the chapel
The chapel
Matthew tracting
The baptismal font
Teresa's baptism
Carmen's baptism
Cleaning the font
doesn't he look happy :)
Carlos' baptism
Matt's first baptism
Arrival at the MTC
Here I go... ¡Adìos!
Buenos Aires Temple
Lisa, thank you so much for being so on top of things with Matt's blog! I always look forward to reading his emails on here soon after he sends them :)
ReplyDelete