Monday, May 23, 2011

Letter Home:)

Hey everyone!

Well, it`s yet another rainy day here in Formosa. It started raining at about 4 in the morning last night. It just stopped, everything is all wet and muddy. We spent the morning studying and cleaning the apartment. Today is going to be a day that will be very similar to the last week's PDay. Wandering around centro taking care of some stuff that we need to take care of and then going and maybe playing some games before buying the food we are going to be eating for the week. Even though all I ever buy is cereal and milk these days. :) I wonder if when I get home I am going to eat this much cereal. If I can ever get to an Internet place that will be friends with my camera adapter, I will send photos of all of the cereal boxes that we are keeping as a collection. It`s gotten to be quite a bit these days. As I said it`s raining. I`m hoping it doesn`t rain too much more, for a couple of reasons. First, it makes it hard for the clothes that are hanging up outside to dry, and I`m in need of some clean socks and white shirts. (Speaking of socks, most of mine have managed to bite the dust, an accidente with bleach...) Second reason, working in muddy streets just isn`t fun. It really tires one out to walk around in the rain. I think I mentioned this before, but there are absolutely no paved streets in my area. Third reason, the more it rains, the more humid it will be when the sun finally decides to show it`s face. Really humid days just aren`t fun.

Alright, moving on to the events of the past week. We´ll start going backwards. Yesterday, I got to give a talk in Sacrament meeting. Right before the Branch President walked up to the stand to start the meeting he stopped at the bench I was sitting on and asked if I could give a talk about obedience. Then, I became the first speaker. With some help from on high, I was able to put together a pretty good talk, I was pleased with it. That marks the second time I have had to speak in this branch. Before Sacrament meeting started I left with another Elder to go around looking for investigators and some converts who hadn`t made it to the meeting yet. It felt like we ran across half the city before getting to everyone we had to.

Saturday night, us along with the other companionship of Elders from the branch put together a birthday party for two kids whose family has been getting more active in the church. We got them cotton candy and stuff like that.

Friday was zone conference! It was a really good one, I think one of the best in my whole mission. The only down side to it, was that it was my last one. Elder Mohlman and I had to get up and give our testimonies as the Honorables, who are those Elders that are in their last transfer. I remember being at the first of my mission and thinking how cool is must be to be giving your last testimony as you get ready to go home. But, actually having to do it, I was sadly mistaken. I think it was one of the saddest moments of my whole mission. Otherwise in the conference, President talked to us about how to keep the new converts active in the church and not lose them back to the world. We also watched a talk that Elder Holland gave in the MTC in January of this year. He talked alot about how when we signed on to be disciples of Christ, it was for life. That we shouldn`t and can`t ever go back to being the same people that we were before the mission. It was a really good talk, got me thinking...

That`s about it for the major events of this week. We had divisions with our district leader during the week, but nothing too terribly exciting happened. Except, well we made that cake! :) That was nice. The cake turned out pretty well. It was just hard guessing what 350 F was to cook it. Our oven just has a dial where you turn the fire up or down...

Anywho, I am happy, and healthy. No complaints from me. We have baptisms this week. :) I`m excited; the first for my companion. We also have this guy Ramon who is progressing quickly, we had a lesson with him and our Branch President on Saturday.
Well, I gotta go, love you all!!!
con amor,
- Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baptism

Baptism

Baptism with the new members

Baptism with the new members

baptism

baptism

scorpion in baptismal font

scorpion in baptismal font

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Matthew and President del Castillo

Matthew and President del Castillo

Polly want a cracker?

Polly want a cracker?

Cooking Christmas dinner

Cooking Christmas dinner

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

Christmas dinner

Christmas dinner

Baptism

Baptism

Dinner is served

Dinner is served
Armadillo

Monkey see monkey do

Monkey see monkey do
Matthew enjoying P-day

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

On the radio

On the radio

Lasagna...

Lasagna...

New Area

New Area

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew's district

Matthew's district

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Luis's Baptism

Luis's Baptism

The Well

The Well

Laundry Facilities

Laundry Facilities

The "shower"

The "shower"

Arturo's Baptism

Arturo's Baptism

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Playing soccer in the mud

Playing soccer in the mud

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Branch activty

Branch activty

Matthew and Teresa

Matthew and Teresa

Baptism

Baptism

Garupà

Garupà

Matt's house in Goya

Matt's house in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew and his fries

Matthew and his fries

Bella Vista

Bella Vista

Hamburger??

Hamburger??

Cathedral in Goya

Cathedral in Goya

The outside of the chapel

The outside of the chapel

The chapel

The chapel

Matthew tracting

Matthew tracting

The baptismal font

The baptismal font

Teresa's baptism

Teresa's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Cleaning the font

Cleaning the font
doesn't he look happy :)

Carlos' baptism

Carlos' baptism

Matt's first baptism

Matt's first baptism

Arrival at the MTC

Arrival at the MTC
Here I go... ¡Adìos!

Buenos Aires Temple

Buenos Aires Temple

Followers