Monday, October 12, 2009

I know what it´s like to be a fireman now...

Hello everyone, another week under my belt in the mission,

Generally I only put interesting titles when something interesting has happened in the mission. Which is most definitely the case this week. I generally don´t like to start things from the end of a week, but this week warrants it. We´ll begin with Thursday.
We went to visit Teresa - one of the Evangelical ladies.  And she informed us of a number of very interesting things. First, she has nothing more to do with that other Church and wanted to get baptized this Saturday. Which took place, another story in and of itself. But, secondly, she told us about the real intentions of Maria - the other Evangelical lady. Maria, only wants to get baptized to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, from which, she wants to take the Spirit, and the Book of Mormon, and form her own Church, with her as the Prophetess type of deal. She read Moroni 2:2, and on a bad misinterpretation believes that she can give the Spirit and such. Phew. That threw us through quite the loop.
Next, we frantically began to organize a baptism. Everything came together perfectly until we hit a couple hours before the baptism to fill the font... and there wasn't any water in the chapel. The hour of the baptism came, and still there wasn´t any water to be found in our time of need. So... a number of prayers and strange circumstances later and phone calls, a water truck was dispatched. And with the hose through the window, I had the pleasure of manning the hose to fill the font. The baptism came and went, and all is well now. Oh, and the air conditioning is working again in the chapel. 
Now, you will, I assume be wanting pictures of the incident, and I have them, but the computer and I are currently fighting about who is the boss, so we shall see how this works out. (Obviously the computer won, the pictures didn't come through.)
Today for P-day we are going to eat some food, clean a little bit, and sleep. Maybe play a little bit of Chess, or Risk. In preparation for our zone activity that should be coming up shortly. When I know what it is for sure, I´ll be sure to let you know. :) 
Hmm, how did the rest of my week go? Oh, Wednesday was Zone Conference, which was really cool. A few hours of President del Castillo talking to us, and attempting to motivate us for November Celestial. The mission needs to get 154 baptisms for us to get close to duplicating the number of baptisms from last year. Three for every companionship. Zone conference was also a lot of getting told what things that we need to do to get better at our teaching. And finally, every missionary's favorite part of Zone Conference, the Doctrine. Where President picks a topic or two and dives incredibly deep into the doctrine. Interesting I must admit, this time it was on the true nature of God, and our relationship with God and Christ. Then at the end of Zone Conference, we eat empanadas and talk for a while before restarting the work. The rest of the week was pretty normal. We have a goal of finding a higher number of new investigators every week. And we´re working in a few neighborhoods that we haven´t before, and it seems that missionaries have never been. In terms of investigators, there really aren´t any new ones that are making major progress. We have a number of ones we have a lot of hope for; and have appointments with them coming up this week. So we shall see how that all works out. This week is nothing special. Next week is when we have interviews with President again.
Oh, Mom, you asked about interviews, we meet with him once a transfer. He asks us how we are doing, if our family is writing, if we have any problems. Chews us out if our numbers are bad, and tells us exactly in what area we need to improve on. Then asks if we have enough faith to accomplish the goal. If we don´t have any questions, that's the end of it.
So, I found out I lied about Halloween, some celebrate it, solely to buy candy, and scream a lot. As for other holidays, I really don´t know yet.
As for the apartment, I´m slowly getting used to the whole thing. It´s different. My companion, I don´t really know that much about him. He´s quiet. He calls the Sister del Castillo a lot for allergies, and keeps to himself... I´m slowly trying to crack the shell, so we will see how that goes. I´m the youngest by a long shot, is pretty much the extent of the knowledge I have. Elder Hormazabul and I are good friends though, so that is nice for me. I´m a fan anyway. 
I love and miss you all, and look forward to next Monday!!
love,
Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baptism

Baptism

Baptism with the new members

Baptism with the new members

baptism

baptism

scorpion in baptismal font

scorpion in baptismal font

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Matthew and President del Castillo

Matthew and President del Castillo

Polly want a cracker?

Polly want a cracker?

Cooking Christmas dinner

Cooking Christmas dinner

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

Christmas dinner

Christmas dinner

Baptism

Baptism

Dinner is served

Dinner is served
Armadillo

Monkey see monkey do

Monkey see monkey do
Matthew enjoying P-day

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

On the radio

On the radio

Lasagna...

Lasagna...

New Area

New Area

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew's district

Matthew's district

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Luis's Baptism

Luis's Baptism

The Well

The Well

Laundry Facilities

Laundry Facilities

The "shower"

The "shower"

Arturo's Baptism

Arturo's Baptism

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Playing soccer in the mud

Playing soccer in the mud

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Branch activty

Branch activty

Matthew and Teresa

Matthew and Teresa

Baptism

Baptism

Garupà

Garupà

Matt's house in Goya

Matt's house in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew and his fries

Matthew and his fries

Bella Vista

Bella Vista

Hamburger??

Hamburger??

Cathedral in Goya

Cathedral in Goya

The outside of the chapel

The outside of the chapel

The chapel

The chapel

Matthew tracting

Matthew tracting

The baptismal font

The baptismal font

Teresa's baptism

Teresa's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Cleaning the font

Cleaning the font
doesn't he look happy :)

Carlos' baptism

Carlos' baptism

Matt's first baptism

Matt's first baptism

Arrival at the MTC

Arrival at the MTC
Here I go... ¡Adìos!

Buenos Aires Temple

Buenos Aires Temple

Followers