Monday, November 16, 2009

Goya - Branch Belgrano

Hey, it´s me again;
I spent alot of time wondering how I was going to write this email, or how I was going to describe everything that has gone on in the past week. The longest and busiest week of my life. So I figured that I would just tell the story, day by day, until I got to the end. Fun isn´t it?
So, after getting the news about the emergency transfer, we wandered around taking a few pictures of the downtown in Posadas, and a picture of a couple of things that I hadn´t had a chance to get a picture of. Those will come next week with some pictures of my new area. Then I went and spent a little while saying goodbye to some families, the two that have really been my support in my first area. And my first group of baptisms. And also our ward misión leader, Guillermo. The Mom taught me how to make a chocolate and mandarin cake really fast, and then I had to say goodbye. That was incredibly harder than I had expected. Then it was off to the apartment to begin the packing process. I have never packed faster in my entire life. About 20 minutes was all it took. And no, I didn´t leave anything venid luckily. Then it was off to the bus terminal to leave my city. The bus left at about 9 pm. It was a boring and dark ride, until…. Gendarmeria!!!! The Argentine National Guard type of force (carrying large guns), that is in charge of stopping all of the busses and checking people and their documents and such. Who, might you guess, got picked? The North American traveling alone at night? IF you guessed me, you are absolutely correct. They checked my documents, my bags, the little dolls caused them fits, couldn´t figure out why I was carrying them. (An investigator in his last area made ceramic figurines of Matthew as a missionary and gave them to him.) Then I finally made it to the Corrientes capital, at 2 am. Then I slept a little bit, then took another bus ride to Goya, the middle of the desert. 
That´s when my adventure of the area began. I guess I shouldn´t really give any details, but me and my companion, Elder Guerra (from Chile, again,) are both new to the area, a complete change. Why? The other Elders had a habit of… hmmm… let´s just say they really focused on teaching the women in the area. So, we have a branch of offended people, and we don´t have a chapel. The church rents a building, that… someone lives in as well. The owner recently moved the primary, to move back into her house. A little bit more about the branch right now. Sunday, there were 9 people in Church. A month ago, there were almost 50. Nobody trusts anyone. We ran the Sacrament meeting, longest talk I have ever given. I´ve managed to land myself in the spot of financial clerk. (Dad -in an area where everyone thinks that someone is taking money, what are the defined limits of what I do, and don´t do?) No one has told us, or me anyway. Our job otherwise, is to reactivate all the members, and find people to baptize. 
All of this said, I´m excited to be here. I miss Posadas, and all the people there. It's just different. The zone here is 8 missionaries--6 in Goya, 2 more 2 hours away. And then the next closest would be Corrientes' Capital. It´s been raining four days straight. My umbrella couldn´t take it. The bank ate my debit card and I had to go get it, and it tried to take money out of a non-existent credit account. The emergency transfer ate all my monthly allowance. I had to take some out to live on 'til I get my reimbursement. We spent the whole week cleaning the apartment. It was a disaster. Now, a bit nicer. 
During all this, I´ve seen members start to cry at the thought of new missionaries, at people who will visit them. I have been a part of what everyone present considers, including me, a miracle during a blessing for the sick. I´ve helped with two activites already for the District Goya. I´m tired, but happy. There´s just a great amount of work to still do. 
A few questions to answer now. I live with just my companion, who is the district leader now. He works really hard, and hopefully we will be able to accomplish some good stuff while I´m here. We just need a heck of a lot of help. Laundry, there is a sister who helps us out, but is inactive. That´s the problem here, everyone still believes in the church, but nobody goes anymore. 
Pday today, we´re making food, and playing sports in the chapel of the branch in Center. They have a real chapel. Hahaha. :) As for strange things in Corrientes, animals, not yet, other than cockroaches. I´ll send some pictures of those. And there are more mosquitos here than I have ever seen in my life before now. Hahaha.
But, in short, as my time slowly runs down, it´s rough, but I love it. I have learned very quickly that Posadas was like a weekend getaway in some aspects. I loved my last area, and hope that I will grow to love this one just as fast. First... we have to get to know it. Both being new, we have spent some time with maps wandering around looking really lost. But it´s alright. :) Just gotta keep on working. I have to run, but I love you all, and miss you all, know I´m working hard!!!
con mucho amor,
Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baptism

Baptism

Baptism with the new members

Baptism with the new members

baptism

baptism

scorpion in baptismal font

scorpion in baptismal font

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Matthew and President del Castillo

Matthew and President del Castillo

Polly want a cracker?

Polly want a cracker?

Cooking Christmas dinner

Cooking Christmas dinner

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

Christmas dinner

Christmas dinner

Baptism

Baptism

Dinner is served

Dinner is served
Armadillo

Monkey see monkey do

Monkey see monkey do
Matthew enjoying P-day

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

On the radio

On the radio

Lasagna...

Lasagna...

New Area

New Area

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew's district

Matthew's district

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Luis's Baptism

Luis's Baptism

The Well

The Well

Laundry Facilities

Laundry Facilities

The "shower"

The "shower"

Arturo's Baptism

Arturo's Baptism

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Playing soccer in the mud

Playing soccer in the mud

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Branch activty

Branch activty

Matthew and Teresa

Matthew and Teresa

Baptism

Baptism

Garupà

Garupà

Matt's house in Goya

Matt's house in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew and his fries

Matthew and his fries

Bella Vista

Bella Vista

Hamburger??

Hamburger??

Cathedral in Goya

Cathedral in Goya

The outside of the chapel

The outside of the chapel

The chapel

The chapel

Matthew tracting

Matthew tracting

The baptismal font

The baptismal font

Teresa's baptism

Teresa's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Cleaning the font

Cleaning the font
doesn't he look happy :)

Carlos' baptism

Carlos' baptism

Matt's first baptism

Matt's first baptism

Arrival at the MTC

Arrival at the MTC
Here I go... ¡Adìos!

Buenos Aires Temple

Buenos Aires Temple

Followers