Monday, November 2, 2009

110˚ and 90%

Hello to everyone 
So, I´m discovering slowly that I have become a mediocre speaker of the two languages I am trying to speak and learn. When I try and talk to people in English now, Spanish words seem to fly out of my mouth when I don´t want them to. I say things and…. Spanish. It´s kind of strange, but I guess something that I am going to have to get used to. 
Now, my time to explain what exactly the heading of my email means. You may have already guessed. Since last Tuesday, the weather here has decided to turn into summer all of a sudden. I´m not sure I like this trade at all. Utah gets its first snow, and I´m sitting here with upwards of 100˚ with almost 100% humidity. At night, we drop a little bit to get to 80 degrees. It's really not fun at all. But… we´re not going to get out of it for a while, so I´m just going to have to get used to it. It won´t really think about cooling down again until around my birthday…. In April…. Wow. We are now attempting to all sleep in a room in the apartment that is just barely big enough for the four mattresses. Why, you may ask? Because it is the only room in the apartment that has air conditioning. The rest just have ceiling fans. As do most of the houses we visit. There really isn´t an escape from the heat… Hmpf
Anyway, my week wasn´t anything terribly exciting, except for the heat. And… trying to work with all the heat. Though we did put two more on baptismal dates, bringing our total for the month of November up to 4. Which, is just over the misión goal of having 3 per companionship in November to try and finish out the year strong. The investigators we have are progressing… kind of. Three of the dates are from one family we found. When we taught the mom and shared the message of the Restoration, she stopped us and said that if we kept talking her heart would give out. That she felt like she needed to give up everything from her other church and join us. So…. We said… do it!!!!!! ;)
The branch…. Its growing. There is a little bit of contention brewing between our branch and the ward we share the chapel with. Both sides seem to think that the chapel is theirs, and not the church´s. I guess the church really is the same throughout the whole world. Also, we moved to a new time. Church now starts at 8 AM on the dot. Not very fun when we have to go and look for investigators. The other interesting thing about church is every week we really have to hope the Branch President isn´t in a suit. Because it´s a misión rule that if the person presiding is in his suit jacket, the missionaries have to be as well. And that´s just plain really, really hot. This Sunday was also my first opportunity to teach, Gospel Principles, on the topic of Families Can Be Together Forever. It was fun, and interesting. We also got a new Branch President. A man who will definitely push the branch… but also likes to put his hands in the misión work alot…. And now he has the authority to, so I´m a bit nervous. 
Yes, transfers are this Wednesday. We really don´t think that anyone from our apartment will be transferred, but, there are 28 new missionaries coming in to the misión. So that has the strong potential of screwing a number of things up.
This PDay is just an easy going one. Mostly because it´s transfers. This morning we did clean the bathroom for the first time since I got here. And the kitchen. We learned the original colors of a number of things. We spent almost four hours in the morning doing a deep clean of the whole apartment. We decided we didn´t like living in dirt. Because dirt and heat equal misery. Tonight, we do have the opportunity to go and spend a family home evening with Carlos' family. I´m really excited. The mom – Myriam, and her sister, Sister Lira, have decided that they are the misión moms of the four elders in our apartment. They keep bringing food, and call us about our health and all that. It´s really nice. 
Hmm… what other random stuff can I include…. No, I haven´t gained any weight. I´ve stayed pretty much the same since I left the MTC… which means I´m just over what I was when I left home.
A ver…. Oh, yes, my companion and I are starting to get along alot better now. Hahaha, but really, we do get along alot better, talking and working. Our apartment is also getting more adept at playing chess and risk, which is always fun.
Anyway, until next week, I love you all, and miss you all!
Matthew.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baptism

Baptism

Baptism with the new members

Baptism with the new members

baptism

baptism

scorpion in baptismal font

scorpion in baptismal font

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Matthew and President del Castillo

Matthew and President del Castillo

Polly want a cracker?

Polly want a cracker?

Cooking Christmas dinner

Cooking Christmas dinner

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

Christmas dinner

Christmas dinner

Baptism

Baptism

Dinner is served

Dinner is served
Armadillo

Monkey see monkey do

Monkey see monkey do
Matthew enjoying P-day

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

On the radio

On the radio

Lasagna...

Lasagna...

New Area

New Area

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew's district

Matthew's district

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Luis's Baptism

Luis's Baptism

The Well

The Well

Laundry Facilities

Laundry Facilities

The "shower"

The "shower"

Arturo's Baptism

Arturo's Baptism

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Playing soccer in the mud

Playing soccer in the mud

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Branch activty

Branch activty

Matthew and Teresa

Matthew and Teresa

Baptism

Baptism

Garupà

Garupà

Matt's house in Goya

Matt's house in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew and his fries

Matthew and his fries

Bella Vista

Bella Vista

Hamburger??

Hamburger??

Cathedral in Goya

Cathedral in Goya

The outside of the chapel

The outside of the chapel

The chapel

The chapel

Matthew tracting

Matthew tracting

The baptismal font

The baptismal font

Teresa's baptism

Teresa's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Cleaning the font

Cleaning the font
doesn't he look happy :)

Carlos' baptism

Carlos' baptism

Matt's first baptism

Matt's first baptism

Arrival at the MTC

Arrival at the MTC
Here I go... ¡Adìos!

Buenos Aires Temple

Buenos Aires Temple

Followers