Monday, November 30, 2009

Another PDay, Another Week

Hello family, another week has come and gone in the mission

This week had its own special quirks and things that made life interesting. The first of which being something that you already are aware of, the fact that my companion had his galbladder taken out. Strange huh? I never thought that would be something that I would have to deal with on my mission. But hey, I guess the saying always goes to never say never. So here goes the story of what happened with him.
He got the go ahead to have the operation from the Area and from the President of the Mission, called his family and away we went. The week in and of itself wasn´t all that effective and we didn´t really work that much. Between Zone Conference and all the stuff that went on, him being in alot of pain, we didn´t really do all that much. But we will get to the stuff we were able to do here in a minute or two, maybe three. But anyway, we get to Friday, the day of the operation, pack up my stuff in the morning, because I needed to spend the night with him, in the hospital. So we went, and I sat and read ALOT. You will come to realize really quickly that I read an incredible amount of things in the last few days. But, he went and had some final tests done, and filled out alot of paperwork. He went into the operation around 1 in the afternoon. I stayed in his room reading with the Zone Leader and his companion. Then he came out, and was in a great deal of pain. I got to spend time with them attempting to take care of him. Then a sister from one of the branches came, and she is an ex-nurse, so she took care of him for us. Which made our lives a whole lot easier. In reality, it really wasn´t that bad for me. I have no idea what exactly President told the people at the clinic or what impression that we paid for the operation in cash had on the clinic.... but, they were very attentive. He had more people come in and check on him than I have seen in my entire life.... Even the owner of the clinic came to make sure that we were being well taken care of. The room they gave us had it´s own bed and a private bathroom. The only one like it in the clinic. But, as for the question of how my companion is doing is--well. The operation wasn´t that hard on him, four holes in the stomach, no mas. He´s up and moving now, but we had to stay in the apartment the last two days. I definitely enjoy the being out of the house feeling. 
And thus is the operation. And now, the few things of missionary work that we were able to do. We did get out to teach some lessons, and put four on baptismal dates. Which I´m really excited about.:) The nineteenth of December should be a really good day for us. Otherwise we had zone conference on Tuesday. We were able to get out of the city, but barely... I´m not kidding! Drove the four hours to Corrientes capital. And heard a lot of stuff about three main topics: Teaching the basics - we don´t need to teach all we know, retention and reactivation of converts, and we need to find men. The goal and point is that we are always finding the women because they are at home during the day when we tract, and put all our appointments at night. The baptisms are amazing, but lots of branches are having full Relief Societies and nothing of a Quorum. We have to make a balance and try and even it out now. Conference was good. Interviews were today. It was pretty normal, we talked about the area. Then we got to have lunch with President because, well it is a zone of 8, no mas. So we were able to talk with him for a good amount of him. Talked alot about the trust he has in us, and how we must reach the mission goal of a family baptized in December and January – a full family, mom, dad, and kids. 
On to questions quickly. My clothes are still doing alright mom. The red dirt of Missionies is starting to leave. : ) The flooding and evacuations have hit parts of our area. The little girl that died, died in our neighborhood--9 or 10 houses down to be a bit more exact. (Because of heavy rain, a roof collapsed and killed this little girl.) Haven´t seen any of the birds yet, it has been raining too hard. (The other end of the trip for the "swallows of Capistrano" is Goya.) Still raining, even this morning it rained a little bit. As usual thanks for all the updates about the friends and everyone, I really do like them. Haha, being a clerk is a little strange, but I like it. I'm in general pretty good, I did a little dance when I heard that BYU beat Utah. I was really happy. Let me know what bowl game they end up in. I hope BYU basketball can help me out and be good this year as well. : )
Much love,
Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baptism

Baptism

Baptism with the new members

Baptism with the new members

baptism

baptism

scorpion in baptismal font

scorpion in baptismal font

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Sister that was baptized and her family that they are now teaching

Matthew and President del Castillo

Matthew and President del Castillo

Polly want a cracker?

Polly want a cracker?

Cooking Christmas dinner

Cooking Christmas dinner

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

Christmas dinner

Christmas dinner

Baptism

Baptism

Dinner is served

Dinner is served
Armadillo

Monkey see monkey do

Monkey see monkey do
Matthew enjoying P-day

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

Matthew climbing out of his apartment.

On the radio

On the radio

Lasagna...

Lasagna...

New Area

New Area

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew's district

Matthew's district

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Matthew and his "newbie" Elder Coombs

Luis's Baptism

Luis's Baptism

The Well

The Well

Laundry Facilities

Laundry Facilities

The "shower"

The "shower"

Arturo's Baptism

Arturo's Baptism

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Door with amazing "safety" bars

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Elder Dumenes, President del Castillo and Matthew

Playing soccer in the mud

Playing soccer in the mud

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Tarantula found on the wall in Matthew's apartment

Branch activty

Branch activty

Matthew and Teresa

Matthew and Teresa

Baptism

Baptism

Garupà

Garupà

Matt's house in Goya

Matt's house in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Matthew and companion in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Sunset in Goya

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Matthew by river at Bella Vista

Baptism

Baptism

Matthew and his fries

Matthew and his fries

Bella Vista

Bella Vista

Hamburger??

Hamburger??

Cathedral in Goya

Cathedral in Goya

The outside of the chapel

The outside of the chapel

The chapel

The chapel

Matthew tracting

Matthew tracting

The baptismal font

The baptismal font

Teresa's baptism

Teresa's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Carmen's baptism

Cleaning the font

Cleaning the font
doesn't he look happy :)

Carlos' baptism

Carlos' baptism

Matt's first baptism

Matt's first baptism

Arrival at the MTC

Arrival at the MTC
Here I go... ¡Adìos!

Buenos Aires Temple

Buenos Aires Temple

Followers